Spaghetti squash is one of my all-time favorite foods to eat/make. I made it last night for dinner and realized it would be great to share! I first discovered this sweet baby from my dad becoming Paleo a year or so ago! He made it for me once and I thought it was pasta! Holy smokes who knew a vegetable could be so delicious?
Anyway here we go. I got my squash at Whole Foods, it’s sold year round and it’s a large oval squash that is yellow. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient database, 1 cup of cooked spaghetti squash provides 42 calories, 0.4 gram of fat, 1 g of protein, 10 g of carbohydrate (4 g as sugar) and 2.2 g of fiber. A typical cup of regular spaghetti is 225 calories in a cup and about 42 g of carbohydrates. Save yourself the calories and try this, you wont regret it and its so easy.
- First start off by slicing it in half, long ways.
- Once you do that, take out all the seeds! It will be the entire middle and easy to scoop out.
- Set your oven to 375 degrees on bake.
- Add some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder (basically whatever seasoning you want and set both halves face down on a baking sheet.
- Once the oven is ready place the squash in and set the timer to 55 minutes.
- Once it’s done, take it out of the oven and let it sit for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Then flip them over, take a fork and scrape out the spaghetti squash and add it to anything you’d like!
For me, I just had it with tomatoes and basil and garlic but if I did eat cheese, I would add that to it also, yum. Anyway let me know if any of you try it! It’s so good! Also! just to let you know, you may have extra and know you can just save it in the fridge and should be good for the next 3-4 days! This morning i used the leftovers and made a hashbrown substitute with my egg! I just threw it in the pan and cooked it with my egg and it was perfect!